Orthodontics for All Ages
Kids, Teens & Adults
Pinecrest Orthodontics: Treating Patients of All Ages
While most people consider the time for orthodontics is during the teenage years, treatment can be successful at most any age. From children, to teens, and on to adults, Pinecrest Orthodontics can give the benefits of a healthy smile to anyone.
Orthodontics for Children
Orthodontic problems with the teeth and or jaws can be evident from an early age. As such, the American Association of Orthodontists advises that children’s teeth are checked by an orthodontist by the age of 7. An early evaluation with an orthodontist allows the identification of potential problems that may require monitoring, or in other cases, early treatment. Early treatment may prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated. In some cases the orthodontist will be able to achieve results at an early age that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing
Indications for Early Treatment for Children
Examples of situations requiring early orthodontic treatment include:
- Severe overbite
- Severe underbite
- Severely crowded teeth or misplaced teeth
- Oral habits such as thumb/digit sucking or tongue thrusting
These scenarios should be corrected when there is a mix of baby and permanent teeth present, and a second phase of treatment (full braces) is typically needed at a later date when the remaining baby teeth fall out.
To book a consultation call 305-423-4130
The Benefits of Early Treatment for Children
As mentioned above, there are a number of benefits of early orthodontic treatment. Some of these benefits include:
- Avoidance of potential future orthodontic problems, such as tooth impaction
- Improvement or correction of severe bite problems, which may more difficult or impossible to correct in older teens or adults
- Cessation of digit sucking or other oral habits
- Creation of space for crowded teeth
- Potential avoidance of permanent teeth removal later in life
- Simpler treatment and decreased treatment time for the second phase of orthodontic treatment
- Improved self esteem
It is not always obvious whether or not your child requires early orthodontic care. Dr. Rothman and her team are happy to provide a complimentary consultation with your family to assess your child’s need for early orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontics for Teens
Aside from scenarios such as those mentioned, most of the time a single phase of braces is indicated once all of the baby teeth have fallen out, which is commonly somewhere between the ages of 10-12 but varies greatly from child to child. Hence, orthodontic treatment often extends into the teen years for many patients.
Fortunately for kids today, braces are a lot less cumbersome than they were in the past. The materials used are smaller, and lighter, thus lowering the amount of discomfort your teen will feel through the process.
As with anyone receiving orthodontic treatment, the length of time required varies. Some of the determinants related to the length of time needed for treatment to complete are:
- The severity of your teen’s case – The timeline for treatment will be in large part dependent upon how difficult your teen’s teeth and jaw problems are.
- Teeth and jaw acceptance of treatment – Every teen is different, and that doesn’t exclude their biology. Indeed, your teen’s treatment timeline can vary based on how their body responds to the course of treatment.
- Your teen! – Patient compliance is the number one determining factor when it comes to how quickly treatment is finished. Orthodontic treatment results are quickest and most successful when teens follow instructions, take good care of their orthodontic appliances, and work with us towards obtaining that beautiful smile we are aiming for.
We offer a variety of options for your teen’s orthodontic care and look forward to helping him/her on their way to a healthy, confident smile!
To book a consultation call 305-423-4130
Orthodontics for Adults
Many people assume that as an adult, you’ve missed the opportunity for orthodontic care, but that couldn’t be further from the truth! Orthodontic treatment can be a success at any age, and adulthood is no exception. Adults today are commonly seeking orthodontic treatment as they realize the value of a healthy, beautiful smile. With about 25% of our patients over the age of 21, Pinecrest Orthodontics has helped many adults gain the confidence that can only come from a gorgeous smile.
Treatment options available to adults
At Pinecrest Orthodontics, we will tailor your treatment plan to fit within your budget, needs, and lifestyle. We understand it may be more difficult for an adult to wear traditional metal braces without feeling self-conscious, so we offer different types of orthodontic treatment to complement your professional life.
The most common orthodontic treatment options for adults include:
- Ceramic braces – Ceramic braces are similar to metal braces in that they mimic their shape and size. However, they are made up of a translucent or clear material that enable them to appear subtler and more cosmetic.
- Invisalign® – A clear alternative to traditional braces, Invisalign® is often a chosen treatment modality for adults wishing to achieve a straighter smile most discreetly. Invisalign is particularly desirable for adults since it is removable and hence eating and hygiene habits remain unaltered.
We have witnessed beautiful changes in our adult patients’ smiles through orthodontic treatment, and we look forward to setting you on your journey towards a gorgeous smile!
Contact Us to Experience the Pinecrest Orthodontics Difference
If you have children or teens at home that you would like to have come in for an orthodontic consultation, please give us a call. Likewise, if you are interested in seeking orthodontic care for yourself, Pinecrest Orthodontics is here to help! We are Pinecrest’s local orthodontic office, also happily serving the communities of Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay, Kendall, and the greater south Miami area!